Burleigh Golf Club

Burleigh Golf Club
Burleigh Golf Club
Sports-MIAMI, QLD
Sports-Miami, QLD
History FOUNDATION OF BURLEIGH HEADS GOLF CLUB 7th November 1950 In 1950 Burleigh Heads was a quiet seaside town boasting only a Bowls Club and two Tennis Courts. Thanks to the foresight..
Cnr Bardon Avenue and Hillcrest Parade, Miami, Qld, 4220.
Cnr Bardon Avenue and Hillcrest Parade, Miami, Qld..
Is this your business? Claim
Ratings & Reviews
Write Review
Write a review for Burleigh Golf Club
Hide Review
"How is you experience with Burleigh Golf Club ? Let others know.."
Images & Videos:
History FOUNDATION OF BURLEIGH HEADS GOLF CLUB 7th November 1950 In 1950 Burleigh Heads was a quiet seaside town boasting only a Bowls Club and two Tennis Courts. Thanks to the foresightedness of Kevin Snee who was running the Hotel Burleigh on The Esplanade, the thoughts were planted to start a golf club. Along with two keen golfing enthusiasts namely Dr Tony (Paddy) Golden and Duncan McCrae, they met to arrange a round of golf at either Southport or Tweed Heads. Instead, because they believed that Burleigh Heads, at the midpoint, was the ideal place for a golf course, so they inspected a couple of possibilities. It was decided to call the first official general meeting on 7th November 1950. The residents of Burleigh Heads were soon invited to a public meeting at Hotel Burleigh on 7th November 1950. They were to learn of the proposal to establish a golf club and construct a course. About 100 acres of Miami bush land was to be purchased at a cost of 'ten pounds' ($20) per acre. Finance for the venture was to be raised from the sale of Registered Debentures and Memberships. That meeting approved, then proceeded to form the Burleigh Heads Golf Club and to appoint its inaugural committee. Encouraged with the generous support of the townspeople, the committee arranged socials, working bees and bonfires, as they acquired fresh skills with axe, shovel, public relations, dynamite, course layout and tight fiscal management. In the spring of 1955, the first official game over a 5 hole circuit was played on our course complete with a club house. Thereafter membership became an attractive option for the golfers watching. An assorted group of dedicated hackers, with their wives and families had transformed the bushland to set up and begin this region's finest golf course. For the majority, their next task was to learn how to use their first set of golfsticks. First 9 holes in play November 1956. Second 9 holes designed by a foundation member Bill Patterson was in play October 1960. Club's name changed 1970 to Gold Coast Burleigh Golf Club. Three venues were inspected for the proposed course. Firstly land east of 26th Avenue, Palm Beach towards the highway was checked although the land was flat it was found unsuitable. On the second inspection land @ Tom Petitt's farm, opposite Marymount College, had not enough acreage. New land 4 kilometers west of Burleigh (where Burleigh Town Shopping Village is now situated) was far to swampy. It was then decided to purchase110 acres (the present site) from Messrs Firth & Cupit @ $20 per acre plus 25 surveyed house Blocks @ $20 per block. These house blocks were down Bardon Avenue side of the present 9th Fairway. Through the purchase of the land, the established venue of our club was decided. Many hours of unpaid work were in front of the few existing members of the day. Fund raising, road closures, land clearing, club house building. The list goes on and on. Without the effort and the foresight of these early members, some of whom are still playing today namely Bill Pattersen, Kevin Snee and Graham Rackley, there would be no Burleigh Heads Golf Club. We the present members thank them for their efforts. As we've moved through the years Gold Coast Burleigh Golf Club has improved each year till the present time. From a humble beginning of 10 to 20 members to present overall membership of approximately 1,200, its clear how successful our club has become.
History
FOUNDATION OF BURLEIGH HEADS GOLF CLUB - 7th November 1950
In 1950 Burleigh Heads was a quiet seaside town boasting only a Bowls Club and two Tennis Courts. Thanks to the foresightedness of Kevin Snee who was running the Hotel Burleigh on The Esplanade, the thoughts were planted to start a golf club. Along with two keen golfing enthusiasts namely Dr Tony (Paddy) Golden and Duncan McCrae, they met to arrange a round of golf at either Southport or Tweed Heads. Instead, because they believed that Burleigh Heads, at the midpoint, was the ideal place for a golf course, so they inspected a couple of possibilities. It was decided to call the first official general meeting on 7th November 1950.

The residents of Burleigh Heads were soon invited to a public meeting at Hotel Burleigh on 7th November 1950. They were to learn of the proposal to establish a golf club and construct a course. About 100 acres of Miami bush land was to be purchased at a cost of 'ten pounds' ($20) per acre. Finance for the venture was to be raised from the sale of Registered Debentures and Memberships. That meeting approved, then proceeded to form the Burleigh Heads Golf Club and to appoint its inaugural committee.

Encouraged with the generous support of the townspeople, the committee arranged socials, working bees and bonfires, as they acquired fresh skills with axe, shovel, public relations, dynamite, course layout and tight fiscal management.

In the spring of 1955, the first official game over a 5 hole circuit was played on our course complete with a club house. Thereafter membership became an attractive option for the golfers watching.

An assorted group of dedicated hackers, with their wives and families had transformed the bushland to set up and begin this region's finest golf course. For the majority, their next task was to learn how to use their "first set of golfsticks".

First 9 holes in play November 1956. Second 9 holes designed by a foundation member Bill Patterson was in play October 1960. Club's name changed 1970 to Gold Coast Burleigh Golf Club.

Three venues were inspected for the proposed course. Firstly land east of 26th Avenue, Palm Beach towards the highway was checked although the land was flat it was found unsuitable. On the second inspection land @ Tom Petitt's farm, opposite Marymount College, had not enough acreage. New land 4 kilometers west of Burleigh (where Burleigh Town Shopping Village is now situated) was far to swampy. It was then decided to purchase110 acres (the present site) from Messrs Firth & Cupit @ $20 per acre plus 25 surveyed house Blocks @ $20 per block. These house blocks were down Bardon Avenue side of the present 9th Fairway.

Through the purchase of the land, the established venue of our club was decided. Many hours of unpaid work were in front of the few existing members of the day. Fund raising, road closures, land clearing, club house building. The list goes on and on. Without the effort and the foresight of these early members, some of whom are still playing today namely Bill Pattersen, Kevin Snee and Graham Rackley, there would be no Burleigh Heads Golf Club. We the present members thank them for their efforts.

As we've moved through the years Gold Coast Burleigh Golf Club has improved each year till the present time. From a humble beginning of 10 to 20 members to present overall membership of approximately 1,200, its clear how successful our club has become.
Social Info:



Find Us on
Loading...
Explore Near By or Similar Business: