Gip's Restaurant

Gip's Restaurant
Gip's Restaurant
Restaurant-EAST TOOWOOMBA, QLD
Restaurant-East Toowoomba, QLD
Gip''s Restaurant is located in one of Toowoomba''s most historical buildings, Clifford House, in what used to be the grand old home''s billiard room. Owners, Jon & Julanne McCorley have ..
Clifford House, 120 Russell St, East Toowoomba, Qld, 4350.
Clifford House, 120 Russell St, East Toowoomba, Ql..
Is this your business? Claim
Ratings & Reviews
Write Review
Write a review for Gip's Restaurant
Hide Review
"How is you experience with Gip's Restaurant ? Let others know.."
Images & Videos:
Gip''s Restaurant is located in one of Toowoomba''s most historical buildings, Clifford House, in what used to be the grand old home''s billiard room. Owners, Jon & Julanne McCorley have preserved a slice of the city''s past by naming the restaurant after the much-loved pet dog of the historical owner, James Taylor. A rock commemorating Gip''s passing can still be found in the grounds today. The James Taylor room in Clifford House is now open for functions, conferences and weddings. A perfect venue for absolutely anything. For a peaceful, quiet setting with beautiful garden surrounds, Gip''s Restaurant is the perfect venue to soak up a relaxing atmosphere. Gip''s Restaurant offers casual yet sophisticated dining both in the garden courtyard (heated when required) and in the interior of the restaurant. During the day in all seasons, the clear sides can be rolled up to allow even more sun to shine through. The restaurant offers casual breakfast, casual cafe style lunch, morning and afternoon tea, coffee and cocktails anytime. Dinner is an a la carte menu featuring modern Australian cuisine. The garden setting in the evening is pretty as a picture with the huge old English Oak and Jacaranda trees bathed in light. Along with the gas lamps dotted around the garden, you could be anywhere in the world! Gip''s is within walking distance of the CBD. Clifford House was designed for use as a residential men''s club. However, the disastrous and prolonged fall in cattle prices saw the pastoralists involved with the original concept unable to finish the project. The partially completed building was subsequently leased to the Lands Department in 1860. During this same period, James Taylor, a pioneer and early settler of the Downs, added to his already extensive land holdings at Cecil Plains through the purchase of 10,000 acres in an area then known as the swamp, later to house the city of Toowoomba. He established himself through buying cattle at slump prices and boiling them down for tallow. Seeing the opportunity of acquiring a town house of some magnificence, he purchased Clifford House and set about finalising its construction. Twelve months later, in 1869, James Taylor, his wife Sara and their nine children took up residence. In its heyday, Clifford House boasted 30 rooms and carried a staff of six housemaids and three gardeners. Gip''s Restaurant is built in and around the old Billiard Room. We decided upon the name late one evening while walking around the site. A rather large rock was laid by James Taylor to commemorate the passing of the little Jack Russell dog he called Gip. The simple message engraved on the headstone (to be found on the grassy verge to the west of the restaurant) is rather touching. Gip passed away on the 10th July 1894, James Taylor a little over one year later. James Taylor was a man of vision and a great champion of promoting the interests of Tooowomba and the Darling Downs. His efforts in establishing our first Hospital and generally improving the quality of life of our earliest settlers have been well documented. We felt that he would be rather pleased that his little mate received some attention.

Gip's Restaurant is located in one of Toowoomba's most historical buildings, Clifford House, in what used to be the grand old home's billiard room.

Owners, Jon & Julanne McCorley have preserved a slice of the city's past by naming the restaurant after the much-loved pet dog of the historical owner, James Taylor. A rock commemorating Gip's passing can still be found in the grounds today.

The James Taylor room in Clifford House is now open for functions, conferences and weddings. A perfect venue for absolutely anything.

For a peaceful, quiet setting with beautiful garden surrounds, Gip's Restaurant is the perfect venue to soak up a relaxing atmosphere. Gip's Restaurant offers casual yet sophisticated dining both in the garden courtyard (heated when required) and in the interior of the restaurant. During the day in all seasons, the clear sides can be rolled up to allow even more sun to shine through.

The restaurant offers casual breakfast, casual cafe style lunch, morning and afternoon tea, coffee and cocktails anytime. Dinner is an a la carte menu featuring modern Australian cuisine.

The garden setting in the evening is pretty as a picture with the huge old English Oak and Jacaranda trees bathed in light. Along with the gas lamps dotted around the garden, you could be anywhere in the world! Gip's is within walking distance of the CBD.

Clifford House was designed for use as a residential men's club. However, the disastrous and prolonged fall in cattle prices saw the pastoralists involved with the original concept unable to finish the project. The partially completed building was subsequently leased to the Lands Department in 1860.

During this same period, James Taylor, a pioneer and early settler of the Downs, added to his already extensive land holdings at Cecil Plains through the purchase of 10,000 acres in an area then known as the swamp, later to house the city of Toowoomba. He established himself through buying cattle at slump prices and boiling them down for tallow. Seeing the opportunity of acquiring a town house of some magnificence, he purchased Clifford House and set about finalising its construction. Twelve months later, in 1869, James Taylor, his wife Sara and their nine children took up residence. In its heyday, Clifford House boasted 30 rooms and carried a staff of six housemaids and three gardeners.

Gip's Restaurant is built in and around the old Billiard Room. We decided upon the name late one evening while walking around the site. A rather large rock was laid by James Taylor to commemorate the passing of the little Jack Russell dog he called Gip. The simple message engraved on the headstone (to be found on the grassy verge to the west of the restaurant) is rather touching. Gip passed away on the 10th July 1894, James Taylor a little over one year later.

James Taylor was a man of vision and a great champion of promoting the interests of Tooowomba and the Darling Downs. His efforts in establishing our first Hospital and generally improving the quality of life of our earliest settlers have been well documented. We felt that he would be rather pleased that his little mate received some attention.

Social Info:



Loading...
Explore Near By or Similar Business: